Yugra State University (YUSU) was established by the initiative of the Government of Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Okrug – Yugra in 2001 followed by the Decree of the Russian Government No. 1069-r of August 20, 2001, and the Order of the Russian Ministry of Education and Science No. 3296 of October 5, 2001. At present, Yugra State University is one of the youngest state universities in Russia.
The mission of the university is to contribute to society through the pursuit of education, learning and research at the highest levels of excellence.
The University infrastructure includes 5 institutes (faculties):
Institute of oil and gas
Institute of Law
Institute of Digital Economy
Institute of Humanities
Center of Excellence Ugra Green School YES (Yugra. Environment. Skills)
In 2007 the university incorporated the following educational institutions of secondary vocational education to become its local branches:
Surgut Petroleum Technical School;
Nizhnevartovsk Petroleum Technical School;
Lyantor Petroleum Technical School;
Nefteyugansk Industrial College.